Hydrolyzed collagen is well-known for its neutral taste and odor, which also makes it easy to consume. Consuming hydrolyzed collagen allows your body to maximize the benefits that collagen has to offer. Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body.
It is the major component of connective tissues that make up several body parts, including tendons, ligaments, skin and muscles.
Collagen has many important functions, including providing your skin with structure and strengthening your bones
Consuming collagen may have a variety of health benefits, from relieving joint pain to improving skin health
Can Improve Skin Health
- Collagen is a major component of your skin.
- It plays a role in strengthening skin, plus may benefit elasticity and hydration. As you age, your body produces less collagen, leading to dry skin and the formation of wrinkles
- However, several studies have shown that collagen peptides or supplements containing collagen may help slow the aging of your skin by reducing wrinkles and dryness
- In one study, women who took a supplement containing 2.5–5 grams of collagen for eight weeks experienced less skin dryness and a significant increase in skin elasticity compared to those who did not take the supplement
- Another study found that women who drank a beverage mixed with a collagen supplement daily for 12 weeks experienced increased skin hydration and a significant reduction in wrinkle depth compared to a control group
- The wrinkle-reducing effects of collagen supplements have been attributed to their ability to stimulate your body to produce collagen on its own
- Additionally, taking collagen supplements may promote the production of other proteins that help structure your skin, including elastin and fibrillin.
Your body uses amino acids to build muscle, bone, cartilage, skin, hair, connective tissue, and much more. … When you consider that your body’s collagen production declines as you age, and that adequate collagen is needed for strong bones, joints, and skin, it seems like adding collagen to your diet is a no-brainer.